The Law Firm You Want On Your Side
Russell B. Cate
- Civil Litigation 50%
- Criminal Defense 30%
- Personal Injury 10%
- Firearms Law 10%
Russell was admitted to the Indiana Bar in 2007. Russell has built a broad client base over his years of practice. He did not inherit his clients from another attorney or purchase a practice, rather, he worked hard spending years building relationships with individuals, businesses, and other attorneys to grow his referral network and client base. Russell understands the importance of maintaining these relationships and invests himself heavily into growing them. Russell's primary practice areas are civil litigation and criminal defense.
Russell's civil litigation practice is diverse and includes on personal injury, products liability, business disputes, shareholder disputes, real estate disputes and other matters. He also has extensive trial experience in major felony and misdemeanor criminal matters. He has also argued in front of the Indiana Court of Appeals and the Indiana Supreme Court and handled administrative hearings.
He began his career at Stuart & Branigin, LLP in Lafayette, Indiana primarily representing two national railroad companies. Russell left Stuart & Branigin to become a deputy prosecutor in Hamilton County, Indiana where he developed his trial skills and began and background for a career in criminal defense. In 2009, Russell was hired by Campbell, Kyle Proffitt, LLP where he worked as an associate, and later as a partner. In 2015, Russell left Campbell Kyle Proffitt, LLP to start Cate, Terry & Gookins, LLC with two of his former partners.
Russell is also active in professional and community organizations. He has previously served as the chair of the Indiana State Bar Attorney Fee Dispute Resolution Committee and received an Indiana State Bar Presidential Citation Award for his service to that committee. He is currently serving the second of a two-year term on the Indiana State Bar Board of Governors. In 2013 Russell graduated from the Indiana State Bar Leadership Development Academy and in 2016 he graduated from the Hamilton County Leadership Academy. He is also a board member of the Hamilton County Fifty Club and was previously a board member for the Hamilton County Sheriff's Department Shop for Kids charity.
Born and raised in Indianapolis, Indiana, Russell attended Lawrence North High School before heading to Purdue University to obtain his bachelor's degree. After college, Russell completed his law degree at Indiana University – McKinney School of Law in Indianapolis, Indiana and was admitted to the Indiana State Bar in 2007.
Russell currently lives in Noblesville, Indiana with his wife, children and bernedoodle. He enjoys spending time with his family, hunting, golfing, traveling, and outdoor cooking.
Current Employment Position
- Hamilton County, Indiana, Deputy Prosecutor, 2008 to 2009
- Campbell Kyle Proffitt LLP, Associate/Partner, 2009 to 2015
- Stuart & Branigin, LLP, Associate, 2007 to 2008
- Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law, Indianapolis, Indiana
- J.D. - 2007
- Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana
- B.A. - 2004
- Major: History
- Indiana, 2007
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Indiana, 2007
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Indiana, 2007
- Indiana Super Lawyer - Rising Star (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020)
- Indiana State Bar Association Leadership Development Academy - Class II, 2012 - 2013
- Hamilton County Leadership Development Academy, 2015 - 2016
- Indiana State Bar Association Presidential Citation Award, Recipient - 2016
Classes & Seminars
- Mentor, Hamilton Southeastern Law & Government Academy, 2012 to Present
- Northview Christian Church, Present
Fraternities or Sororities
- Sigma Alpha Epsilon
- Harbaugh v. State, 96 N.E.3d 102, Court of Appeals
- Burnell v. State , 56 N.E.3d 1146, Supreme Court
- Burnell v. State , 44 N.E.3d 771, Court of Appeals
- D.A. v. State, 49 N.E.3d 580, Court of Appeals
- Indiana State Bar Association, Member, 2007 to Present
- Hamilton County Bar Association, Member, 2007 to Present
- Hamilton County Fifty Club, Board Member, 2014 to Present
- Hamilton County Sheriff's Dept. Shop for Kids, Board Member, 2019 to Present
- ISBA Attorney Fee Dispute Resolution, Chair, 2014 to 2017
- Indiana State Bar Association Board of Governors, Board Member, 2019 to 2020