Stephenie K. Gookins
Stephenie has practiced law throughout central Indiana for over 15 years. She has a diverse practice including criminal law, family law, social security disability, appellate law, and civil litigation. Regardless of the type of case, Stephenie tackles every case with a focused, energetic, direct approach giving her clients legal alternatives to resolve their case through settlement or courtroom litigation. Stephenie is an experienced litigator. She has served as public defender in Hamilton County Superior 5 since 2001. She has extensive experience with bench and jury trials as well as many other types of hearings.
She has an extensive family law practice. From simple dissolution cases to individual with multiple businesses, custody issues or post-divorce concerns, Stephenie has handled these delicate matters for many clients. Her practical approach allows cases to be concluded expeditiously so that individuals can move on in life without the burden of prolonged litigation. She is a Registered Domestic Relations Mediator and a Parenting Coordinator.
Contributing to the community and volunteerism are very important to Stephenie. She is a registered Boy scout leader, director of the Hamilton County Bar Assn High School Mock Trial program, a member of the HCCC advisory board and a team member of the Hamilton County Evidence Based Decision Making initiative.
Stephenie grew up on a farm in southeastern Indiana. She received her Bachelor’s degree in Public Policy from Indiana University where she was also a member of the IU Marching Hundred & Pep Band. She received her law degree from the Indiana University McKinney School of Law and was admitted to the Indiana state bar in 1998.
Stephenie lives with her husband and children in northern Hamilton County. She spends her free time enjoying her son’s sporting events, spending time at the family farm, gardening, entertaining and cheering on the Indiana Hoosiers basketball team.
- Indiana, 1998
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Indiana
- Robert H. McKinney School of Law, Indianapolis, Indiana
- J.D. – 1998
- Indiana University
- B.S. – 1994
- Major: Public Affairs
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Hamilton County Bar Association
- Hamilton County Community Corrections Advisory Board, President, 2006 and 2015
- Hamilton County Bar Association, Mock Trial Director
- Indiana Leadership Forum Graduate, 2008
- Cub Scouts, Committee Chair, 2013-present
- Sheridan Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors, 2015
- IU Marching Hundred Alumni Council, 2014 – present
- Westfield R.O.C.K. of Support Advisory Group